Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

less thinking = more doing

Challenge 2 is off to a great start 10 for 10 in May exercising for at least an hour and I'm 3 weeks into  http://hundredpushups.com/ getting tough but sticking it out. As most of you know some days doing the things that are good for us or that we need to do can be easy, but other days getting up to run, riding in the rain or getting off the couch can be harder! This past few weeks I've really focused on my own conversations with myself about working out. Two specific actions seem to have the most impact. The first is the timing of when the conversations start. There is absolutely no point in guessing how you feel, how the weather will be, how you should be doing something else, etc. when a workout is hours or even days away. Preparing is important, having your stuff ready etc but worrying about making a workout just gives you a longer time to argue yourself out of it, or rationalize why rest or rescheduling is a better idea.
The second thing that works for me is awareness of my self talk just prior to and during the workout. The lazy me will say take it easy on an interval or wait til later to workout or just walk not run but being completely aware of these conversation seems to quiet them and if they do surface, they seem to be much less effective, kind of like knowing the salesman tricks before negotiating. These two steps have helped me keep going on at least 2 runs and added intensity to most of my other workouts this month. Workouts and eating well are things I want to do and they will happen, so no point in having this negative internal dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment