Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

1st sprint tri

So was thinking the tri idea might not be a great one..once doubt creeps in you really only have two choices give in or think no more and just do! So I had a day away from the office today and finished my first sprint tri! Not an official event but my own self supported tri. No timing chips or transition splits but 375 m in the pool 25 km on the bike and a 5 km run.  I dropped the lovely wife (see http://marymeldrum.blogspot.com/) at the office and went straight to the pool. Elite swim team be damned I hopped in the slow lane with a bunch of high energy seniors and slugged out 375 m. Swimming is NOT my thing but I survived using my patented dog paddle turning occasionally into freestyle method (swim lessons are a must in the fall!). Then I  rode 25 km up the lochside trail encountering a family of deer, great ocean views, a number of other MAMILS (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608 for details!).  I finished the morning with a 5 km run around cedar hill golf course. No real idea of overall time but lots of fun. What did surprise me was the run was about my usual 5 km time and I had lots left over when I finished. I'm psyched to sign up for an "official" spring tri and get the swimming down before them. Also realized that I can go way harder in a race environment, at least in a sprint distance. Finished and thought this was no big deal but sometimes it is important to remember where we have come from to understand how far we can still go.  I reread what my wife wrote for me on birthday  (see http://marymeldrum.blogspot.com/2010/06/birthday-card.html) and looked at a few old photos (see below) and well getting out there Friday was pretty special for me and reminded me of how much more I still can do. OK too much deep introspection, this is supposed to be fun, next week focus is back on half marathon and getting back to some work structure!

Not that many years ago! but about 100 lbs more of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment