Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Weight loss and training: two very different animals

This may seems common sense to many, but I just finally getting this into my head losing weight and training for something do not go hand in hand. Having lost a little over 100 lbs, still freaks me out to write that, I understand that you lose weight by creating an eating plan and nailing the details, activity is important but in the giant scheme of dropping pounds it may be overrated. It wasn't until I took my nutrition, and in particular my portion size into account that I really understood this. As a big guy a hour ride can't be rational for the all you can eat bread or pasta buffet and no your don't need a pocket full of gu, gels or other carb of choice you want to burn the stuff you are already carrying!. NOT if you want to drop pounds. When you look at what you burn (above and beyond what you would burn just sitting there) the numbers are not as large as we often imagine. This becomes even more the case as we become more and more efficient at working out. I do buy the muscle burns more calories idea but to do that one needs to really be aware of how much work is required to add a pound of muscle, a lot of what I see in the gym just isn't going to cut it. The harsh reality is if you want big change you need to make big change and get into a place of discomfort, not just in the gym but in your diet as well.

As I change my focus to train for events rather than to satisfy a number on the scale I have to realize that hard uncomfortable efforts require fuel and proper rest. Conversely my most successful period of weigh loss came with a strong focus on what I put in my mouth and consistent but mild exercise that I did not compensate for with additional fuel or rest. As I talk to people about losing weight or listen to comments on podcasts or other media I hear my old self using exercise as the magic bullet. Exercise is amazing, it adds energy, helps you sleep, makes you more creativity, it is a magic bullet in many ways but not for weight loss, at least not in my experience. If you are looking to drop pounds spend the energy getting diet right and just get moving, no needs for training plans or epic events. Plenty of time for those when you get to test out the new fitter body!

No comments:

Post a Comment