Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lurking

Anyone who has lost a substantial amount of weight, see (http://the45thyear.blogspot.com/2010/06/then-now-100-lbs-down.html) knows that the fat suit is never far away. That former self lurks just around the corner, usually sitting on the couch eating holiday baking or having "just one more drink." We all know or have seen someone get in shape for some event, a wedding, birthday or run or ride only to achieve the goal and then slip. Not unusual at all, unfortunately many of the things that allow some of us to lose the weight in the first place, like obsession (sometimes we call it discipline!) have both a positive and a destructive side. One good thing you do gain though is awareness and I am all of sudden all too aware of some very negative stuff creeping back in. The occasional treat has turned to regular holiday treats, a beer or wine to several, daily!! and the reasons to miss workouts seem so much more rationale than they did when I was pushing for the 100 lb loss and then to run a half marathon. I need to realize that the guy who gained 100 plus pounds in the first place is still with me and that's OK I like him, but I don't like the way his habits made me feel. So to slip up is human, to do nothing about it, well at least for me is unforgivable. No waiting, no elaborate planning, no start on Monday or the new year, next week..fill in your favorite! I know what to do... move and eat well and just enough, hydrate often: end of story. So good day lots of water, lots of greens, lots of vegetables and lean protein and a good 45 minute trail run. Feel better already, even the fat guy seems to like this feeling!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Kick that fat guy's butt! (But then pick him up and give him a hug and say "we good?").

    I'm happy to see that you can refocus so quickly. The trick is exactly what you said. Its RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plug on Twitter, caught my eye. As a woman being 75lbs over weight has to be like being a 100lbs is on a man. I'm about half way down currently. The thing is, the fat chic scares the crap out of me. It happened so fast (50lbs in 3 months), and it seemed so...I dunno...easy? I didn't do it on purpose, I just wasn't paying attention. I got busy with being a newlywed and a 60 hour a week job. I mean, I know what went wrong (too many hours at work, too many Mt. Dews, too many fast easy late dinners...zero movement!)...but I'm scared that I won't be able to stop myself in the future. That the fat chic will come creeping back on when my head is turned and I'm busy watching a movie and having pizza. My dh talks about this a lot too. He gained a 100lbs, then lost 70lbs, then gained 20lbs...and he said he didn't even notice it happening again. 20lbs is a huge deal (at least on a chic!) and I know he's really bummed about it. Anyhow, all that to say that I really liked this post and that I'm retweeting it! I liked your statement about not waiting till Monday...we're Monday people around here, and up until 3 months ago that's exactly how it went...every Monday or so I'd start over. Anyhow, congrat's on your monumental loss! And even more so, congrat's on being able to change your way of thinking. The fat guy isn't a bad guy, he's just confused! ;) I'll be sticking around to gawk.

    ReplyDelete